The seed is characterized by:
- Being a good source of B vitamins (niacin, thiamin and folic acid) complex and contains calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc and copper;
- Having very low sodium content;
- Having the ability to absorb a significant amount of water
- Being gluten free.
- 19-23% of protein, an amount larger than traditional grains such as wheat (13.7%), corn (9.4%), rice (6.5%), oats (16.9%) and barley (12.5%);
- 29-33% oil, which has the highest percentage known of alpha–linolenic fatty acid (62-64%), fatty acid family of omega-3.